Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Daring Bakers - First Challenge

I am extremely excited to take part in my first Daring Baker’s Challenge. I was a little weary upon seeing that our challenge this month would be pizza. I’m not a huge fan of pizza and not comfortable in making anything with yeast. However, I definitely can’t miss out on my first challenge so I decided to step up to the challenge. I knew I wanted to make chicken pizza so when we made roast chicken, I used the leftovers on the pizza.

Apparently tossing the dough makes the crust much better – I did manage to toss it but we didn’t manage to get a good picture. As we were starving, we gave up at getting a good shot and put together the pizza to bake it off and full our tummies.

Several smoke alarms later, the pizzas were done – here’s my sad attempt at a pizza. Tomy gave it a try too, here's his pizza. He has an edge as he used to work at Pizza Pizza. The pictures are deceiving as they look better than they taste. Tomy & I didn’t find the crust edible… I’m not sure if it’s my error in making the dough or it’s suppose to be like this but I didn’t like the crust at all. I suppose it’s my error in making the dough since everyone else’s pizzas turned out fantastic. I toyed around with the idea of trying the recipe out again but decided against it. The recipe is “Pizza Napoletana” from Peter Reinhart's “The Bread Baker's Apprentice”.

I just want to say I’m happy to be part of Daring Bakers and look forward to our next challenge. Please refer to attached link to see how everyone else’s pizzas came out. Be warned though – if you haven’t eaten, it’ll make you really hungry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the DB's. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who had the smoke alarms going off. I also didn't care much for the crust - I'll be looking for a better one.

Eat4Fun said...

Congratulations on completing your first DB challenge.

Sorry to read your pizzas weren't to your liking, but the do look very nice!

Mags said...

Thanks for your support...much appreciated. I look forward to the next challenge!