Monday, August 11, 2008

Thank You!!!


Welcome to Crazy for Sweets, a journal to share my sweet adventures from my new kitchen and daily life here in Toronto.

I would like use my first post to thank my Aunt Nancy and Aunt Cindy & family. They flew into Toronto to attend my wedding. With all the last minute details for the wedding, I did not have a chance to spend time with them. I did manage to whip up some Apricot tarts before they left. I know they both enjoyed the tarts.

The recipe I used is from the Pie class I took George Brown. Using the full recipe, I can make enough dough to freeze for other uses.

Here’s the recipe:

Sweet Dough (yields 4 - 7” tarts and more)

Unsalted Butter 454g
Sugar 230g
Eggs 2
All Purpose Flour 230g
Pastry Flour 454g

1. Cream sugar and butter with a paddle until lightly fluffy.
2. Add eggs and mix for 30 seconds and scrape sides of mixing bowl.
3. Sift all purpose flour and pastry flour together.
4. Add to mixing bowl on 1st speed until well incorporated.
5. Let pastry dough rest for 2 hours in fridge. This can be kept in freezer for about one month. Freeze the dough flat so it thaws easily.

Filling (enough to fill 10 – 3” tarts)

Almond Paste 170 g
Unsalted Butter (soften) 135g
White Sugar 70g
Whole Eggs 120g (about 2 extra large eggs)
Pastry Flour 30g

1. Place the almond paste, butter and sugar into a small mixing bowl with a paddle. Mix on 1st speed until blended. Scrape bowl.
2. Turn mixer to 2nd speed until light and fluffy. Scrape bowl.
3. Turn mixer to 1st speed and add the eggs slowly until incorporated. Scrape bowl.
4. Add the flour on 1st speed and mix until just incorporated. Scrape bowl,
5. Turn mixer on to 3rd speed and mix for 30 seconds. This is to ensure all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Remove from mixer and scrape bowl.

Assembly

1. Use piping bag or spread in filling into each tart shell.
2. Arrange fresh or canned apricots on top of filling.
3. Bake the tarts at 400F for approximately 25 minutes are until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.

No comments: