Sunday, August 29, 2010

Summer 2010

It’s been busy summer this year with the discovery of many pick your own berry farms, and local organic farmer markets. With the abundance of fresh local produce, I have been trying to cook more and eat healthier. Hence, less baking, although I think the main reason is that I have too many distractions. With all this fresh fruits, I already made a few batches of jam this summer. I already finished two jars of strawberry, a jar of raspberry and currently enjoying my blackberry jam. I have stocked my freezer with freshly picked berries for more jamming over the winter, and have just finished making italian plum jam this morning. Hmmm, plum jam, that brings me back to the reason I started jamming this summer. My plum jam doesn’t taste like the one from Italy (I know as I licked the spoon), but I’m happy as this may be my best batch of jam I made. My previous jams were either too watery or overcooked but somehow I feel this jam is perfect…I guess I’ll find out when I dig into it after I finish my blackberry jam.
Baking wise, I did manage to make a successful batch of sesame macarons,. Well not 100% successful as not the whole batch turned out, but successful as it was full of sesame flavour and not insanely sweet. The humidity really affected the drying of the macarons. I think I’ll have to wait until it’s less humid before churning out another batch.
Besides getting fresh fruits, I have been enjoying many fresh veggies from the market. Just the other day, I snagged some fresh edamame beans! They even had stalks of them for sale so of course I had to get some.

No comments: