Monday, May 25, 2009

New Purchases...

Instead of a Japanese inspired recipe book, I picked up two French pastry books...I figured with my basic knowledge of French , a dictionary and a co-worker who’s fluent in French I shouldn’t have any problems with the recipes.

I also bought a silicone mold which I had been eyeing online and was hoping to purchase in Asia; I’m happy as it actually costs around the same here so I bought one after finding it on Queen St. West. Now I think I should have bought two, I guess I’ll have to go back.

It looks a big ice cream mochi

I knew I wanted to fill the molds with a mousse or Bavarian cream but I didn’t know how I would glaze the cakes after. After researching online, I found that some bloggers/bakers tempered chocolate to brush the molds prior to piping in the mousse. I decided to try this method too since I had no idea where to start. Since I didn’t want to temper, I decided white chocolate would be the route to go as I was worried about streaking. Brushing the molds with the chocolate was a little of a struggle for me, it was hard to ensure I got the chocolate evenly onto the mold..thank goodness after unmolding, it looked ok.

oops the genoise was a little thick.

Initially I wanted to make raspberry mousse with raspberry jelly as the tartness of the raspberries would work well with white chocolate. However I ran out of raspberries after making the jelly. Since I was too lazy to go to the store, I used mango puree which I had on hand to make the mousse. I’m pleased with my first try but think I would use dark chocolate as a glaze next time or go without one. I also need to work on my plating. I guess I have to head to the store this weekend for some new props!

Since I’ve been snacking a lot more at work, I also made blueberry muffins using Dessert By Candy’s recipe...they look good but I have yet to try them.

No comments: