Sunday, July 3, 2011

Strawberry Season


Although I’m not a huge strawberry fan, I’ve been waiting anxiously to go berry picking this season.  I wanted to make some jam with freshly picked Ontario strawberries;   what is better than picking it myself? 
I guess everyone is on the lookout for organic PYO fruits; when we got there the parking lot was full and everyone was parked on the street.  It was a huge change from last summer.  They also moved the strawberry patch to another area of the farm.  We had to walk through a muddy trail to get to the large strawberry patch.  Thankfully it was worth the walk and the mud had dried up for the walk out from the patch.  
The type of strawberries that were available this year is a little different.  Last year, they were small but extremely sweet.  This year, they’re big and pretty but not exceptionally sweet.  Instead, they taste very fresh, very strawberry flavoured.   I didn’t pick as much as last summer but have enough for a few jars of jam.  I might go pick up some different varieties from the market and freeze them to make jam later this year.  Hopefully, dad doesn’t fly through his jam so quickly.


5 comments:

dapan said...

hi mags, may i ask where is this farm?

Mags said...

Hi Dapan - link below.
http://organicsfarm.ca/www.organicsfarm.ca/Welcome.html

dapan said...

thanks a lot, mags!
one more question, do i need to bring my own basket/container?

Mags said...

No, they have two sizes u can buy; the smaller one is $1 and the bigger one is $2. I got the smaller one and a full basket is $13 or maybe $15...I can't remember. U can bring ur own if u want.

dapan said...

thanks again. ^_^