Thursday, June 17, 2010

Strawberry Jam

Since tasting the delicious homemade jam from the B&B, I’ve been looking forward to summer for local fruits to try my hand at making jam. Being relatively new to the whole process, I picked up The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving. Their recipe for the Favorite Strawberry Jam was perfect as the yield was small at 2.5 cups. I’ll have to say making the jam wasn’t hard but the whole sterilization process was a bit unnerving. Perhaps I didn’t have all the right tools but I had a difficult time removing the hot water from the jars. Nevertheless, it was music to my ears on hearing the “ping” of the lids once I removed the filled jars from the water bath. One thing puzzled me though – I only yield 1.5 cups of jam…perhaps I measured the wrong amount of strawberries? Who knows…anyhow, I tasted the jam and it’s good. Ok, perhaps a little too sweet for my taste but I’ve never been a major fan of strawberry jam. I can’t wait until raspberry season. I love raspberry jam!

7 comments:

dapan said...

yumyum!

Mags said...

Have you gone strawberry picking yet?

dapan said...

not yet, no time. >_<

Mags said...

They have organic strawberries at the farmers market too. I saw them at The Stop's Green Barn Farmers' Market

dapan said...

i see. thanks for let me know. ^^
btw, i bought a case of mango from t&t supermarket today. $5.88, very good deal!

Mags said...

Thanks for the mango tip. My mom bought a box and gave me some. Wondering if I should make jam with it or just eat it fresh.

dapan said...

mango jam! ^^